Beautifully engraved certificate from the Military Post Street Railway Company issued in 1895. This historic document was printed by the Forbes Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of an electric train car. This item is hand signed by the Company's President and Secretary and is over 110 years old.
In 1895, the Military Post Street Railway began operations as a horse drawn railway. The rails went from upper Main Street in Winooski to Fort Ethan Allen. This line was extended to the Central Vermont station in Essex Junction. Both the Military Post Railway and the Burlington Horse Railroad Company were organized, owned and built by the same people. In November of 1896, the Burlington & Winooski Horse Railroad Company changed their name to Burlington Traction Company after leasing and operating the Military Post Street Railway for about three and a half months. The Military Post Street Railway existed on paper until July of 1926.