Beautifully engraved certificate from the Old Colony and Fall River Railroad Co. issued in 1863. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a blue corporate seal and an IRS tax stamp. This item is hand signed by the Company's President ( Alexander Holmes ) and Treasurer ( John Washburn )and is over 140 years old. The Old Colony Railroad terminated in Fall River in 1854, and that city was taken with its importance as a commercial center. In 1862, The Fall River Railroad line was extended toward Newport, Rhode Island under the corporate title of Newport and Fall River Railroad. This line was merged into the Old Colony and Fall River Railroad which was then renamed the Old Colony & Newport Railway.