Beautifully engraved EARLY Certificate from the famous Providence and Worcester Railroad
issued no later than 1849. This historic document has an
ornate block border with the company's name on top center. This item is hand signed by the Company's President, John Barstow and is over 161 years old. These are some of the first certificates issue from this famous railroad.
The company was incorporated under the Laws of Massachusettes and Rhode Island in 1844. There is a total of 50.60 miles of track. In 1892 the the company was leased to the New York, New Haven and Hartford RR for 99 years.
Today the Providence and Worcester Railroad Company (P&W) is a regional freight railroad operating in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island. Its 28 diesel electric locomotives run over 545 miles of track (170 miles of which it owns). An interstate freight carrier, it serves about 150 customers, hauling such goods as construction materials, foodstuffs, plastics, chemicals, and metals. It interchanges freight traffic with Consolidated Rail, Springfield Terminal Railway, New England Central Railroad, and the New York and Atlantic Railroad. P&W operates locomotive and railcar maintenance facilities in Worcester, Massachusetts, and Plainfield, Connecticut.
History from OldCompany.com
stock certificate research service).