Beautifully engraved Certificate from the Alaska Gold Mines Company issued
in 1917. This historic document was printed by the Republic Banknote Company and has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle. This item is hand signed by the Company's President and Secretary and is over 100 years old. Condition is EF.
Alaska Gold Mines Co was the sole controller of Alaska Gastineau MC, which began production in 1911. The Juneau gold belt is located in the southeastern portion of the U.S. state of Alaska.
The mine properties were located within the Juneau Gold Belt near the Bastineau Channel at the mouth of Sheep Creek. The Juneau gold belt is located in the southeastern portion of the U.S. state of Alaska. The company operated through several shafts to depths of about 1500 feet, with many miles of tunnels. One of the directors, D. C. Jackling, was a famous mining engineer. The Mines Handbook (1925) states that the gold occurrence was very promising and resulted in mining of nearly 6,000 tons of ore a day for the next 10 years. In 1920, total tons to the mill was nearly 2.2 million. Unfortunately, the cost of production, at $0.82/ton, was considerably more than the resale value of $0.69/ton. The mine began shutting down operations and selling off mining equipment in 1921. Plans were made to alter the mill to produce wood pulp or some other product; whether this was successful is unclear. In addition to the mine proper, Alaska Gold Mines Co owned several hydroelectric power plants that supplied power to Juneau, the income of which covered all expenses. Mines Handbook - 1931
The Alaska Gold Mines Company comprised of mineral lands in the Sheep and
Gold Creek basins. There was a mill at the mouth of Sheep
Creek, or Thane, and a reservoir and water power plant
on Salmon Creek. All of the mining was done by this company
was on the Perseverance Mine which has been
developed to furnish the mill at Sheep Creek with ore.
The mill has a daily capacity of 8,000 tons. The caving
system of mining was used. All of the drifts were driven in the foot wall and raises run, keeping well in
under the foot wall. Holes were drilled into the lode from
these raises and the ore shot off the foot wall and allowed
to cave from the hanging wall. A vertical three compartment shaft, 1544 feet in depth
the collar of which has an altitude ‘of 2300 feet above sea’
level, was used to hoist men and material to ‘the different
levels. The bottom the shaft connected with an 8 by 10 adit,
having: a length of 10,000 feet and a tram 1 l-4 miles
We will always maintain our founding commitment to customer satisfaction and the delivery of an educational product with an enjoyable shopping experience. Please
let us know how we may be of service to you.
All Old Stock and Bond
Certificates are actual authentic certificates and are sold only as collectibles.
We do not sell reproductions and offer a lifetime guarantee to the
authenticity of everything we sell.