Beautiful unissued certificate from the Fort Lee Ferry Company of New York printed in the 1880's. This historic document was printed by the B. W. Dinsmore Company, N.Y. and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of an early steamship. This item has is over 117 years old. This is the first time we have seen this for sale.
The ferries from Fort Lee and Edgewater went to the 129th and 152nd Street slips in Manhattan, respectively. In 1882 the Fort Lee and New York Steamboat Company was organized and ferries between 22nd Street in Manhattan and the Fort Lee ferry dock. Ferry service was expanded in 1888 from Fort Lee to various points in Manhattan. The company was reorganized and renamed as the Public Service Ferry Company in 1894. The Public Service Ferry Company was acquired by the newly formed New Jersey and Hudson River Railway and Ferry Company in 1900. The 129th Street piers were shared with the Dayline and Nightline steamers that sailed up the Hudson River. These ferries were also used by passengers to the Palisades Amusement Park near Fort Lee. The Iron Steamboat Company sailed from these piers to Coney Island. The schedule for this organization was timed in such a way that passengers could connect with the IRT at 125th Street when the Subway opened in 1904.