Beautifully engraved Certificate from the International Pulp Company issued in 1893. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a woman and her two children looking at a bird. This item is signed by the company's president, A. G. Paine and is over 117 years old.
International Pulp Company was organized in 1893 from four other companies; the Agalite Fibre Company, St. Lawrence, Natural Dam and Adirondack Pulp Companies. In 1895 the International Pulp Company, having an idle water power, organized a subsidiary electric holding company named the Oswegatchie Light & Power Company. The company developed its idle water power one mile east of Hailesboro, and built a transmission line to Gouverneur. The electric business of Augustus L. McCrea, which he acquired from the American Illuminating Company, was purchased by the International Pulp Company. History from OldCompany.com (old stock certificate research service) and "Highlights In the History of Gouverneur" by Julius R. Bartlett, Village Historian, 1955