Beautiful certificate from the Mansfield and Framingham Rail Road Co dated in 1871. This historic document was printed by J.H. Bufford Litho Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of men watching train (with large funnel stack), station beyond. This item has the signature of the Company's Treasurer and is over 136 years old. Punch cancelled.
The final section of the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad was incorporated in 1867 and opened in 1870 as the Mansfield and Framingham Railroad, connecting the Boston, Clinton and Fitchburg at Framingham with the Taunton Branch at Mansfield. Since opening, the line was leased by the Boston, Clinton and Fitchburg, and in 1874 the newly-formed New Bedford Railroad was leased to the BC&F. In 1876 the BCF and New Bedford merged to form the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad, though the Mansfield and Framingham remained separate but leased. In 1879 the Old Colony Railroad leased the combined company, merging it into itself in 1883. History from Wikipedia and OldCompanyResearch.com (old stock certificate research service).