Beautifully engraved certificate from the Roanoke Rolling Mill Company issued in 1887. This historic document was printed by Wm Mann, 529 Market St., Philadelphia and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the Virginian seal (a Roman warrior placing its foot on the head of a fallen king) with the Commonwealth's phrase "Sic, Sempre, Tyrannis" (translates to "thus always to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant"). The seal is symbolically designed in an ornate eye with the scroll "Incorporated under the laws of the State of Virginia" weaving through it. This item has the handwritten signatures of the Company's President, S. B. Haupt and Secretary, and is over 124 years old.
Roanoke Rolling Mill Company, Roanoke, Roanoke county. Built in 1888-9, and put in operation May 1, 1889; 5 double puddling furnaces, 4 heating furnaces, and 3 trains of rolls (one 10-inch guide, one 16-inch bar, and one 18-inch muck); product, merchant bar iron and small T rails; annual capacity, 7,525 net tons. S. B. Haupt, President; George C. McCahan, Secretary; H. M. Darnall, Treasurer.