Beautiful certificate from the Wayne County Agricultural Society
issued in 1862. This historic document was printed by E.B.Clayton & Sons has an ornate border around it with a vignette of farmers, a horse and carriage with a family and a dog. This item has the signatures of the Company's President, E. W. Hamlin and Secretary, William H. Ham, and is over 145 years old.
The Wayne County Fair - Chartered 1862 - Honesdale - Situated just north of Honesdale on Route 191 is a tract of land that runs parallel to the Dyberry Creek. This lush river valley surrounded by majestic hills has been host to the area╣s number one family entertainment event each year since 1862.
The Wayne County Agricultural Society was organized and a charter was prepared and approved by the Court on February 24, 1862. The first officers were president E. W. Hamlin, vice president, P. W. Lerch, Secretary, William H. Ham, treasurer, S. O. Ward. Directors consisted of E. H. Clark, S. K. Vail, A. K. Hoxie, E.K. Horton, Wm. Hartwell, E.W. Hamlin, Sandel Allen, E. R. Jones, P.W. Lerch, Orrin Lester, Aaron Flower, C.P. Waller, Ephraim Ulis, William H. Ham and A.B. Walker.
The original tract of land for the fair was decided on twenty acres that ran along the Dyberry River between Honesdale and Bethany. It was leased for $75 per year with a privilege of buying within 5 years for $80 per acre.