Beautiful employees' benefit certificate from the Western Electric Company issued from 1933 - 1953. This historic document was printed by the L.H. Philo Corporation and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of the company name. This item has the printed signatures of the Company's Chairman, and Secretary, and is over 75 years old.
The Western Electric Company was formed in 1869 as a telephone company in Cleveland, Ohio. Started out making telegraph equipment and misc. telephone equipment. In 1877 they moved to Chicago, Ill. And became Western Electric Company (official name). They supplied Western Union with their phone equipment from 1878 1879. In 1881 they were bought out by The Bell Company. They became the sole suppliers of the Bell System. They eventually sold to their own employees who formed the company Graybar Electric Company that is still in business. 1869 Western Electric Company-the manufacturing arm of Western Union-founded. 1882 Western Electric acquired by Bell Telephone. 1925 Bell Laboratories formed by Western Electric and AT&T to pool their research and engineering resources. 1984 Bell Systems divestiture. Western Electric becomes the Networks Systems Division of AT&T. History from Encyberpedia and OldCompany.com (old stock certificate research service)