Beautifully engraved certificate from the American Asbestos and Fireproofing Company
issued in 1906. This historic document was printed by the Kirn Brothers Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of an eagle with its wings spread with fire in front of it with a city in the background. This item is hand signed by the Company's President, Webster Blocker and Secretary and is over 102 years old.
The American Asbestos and Fireproofing Company was incorporated in Virginia, with a capital of $16,500,000, to take over the plants, patents, and other properties of the American Asbestos Company and the Mark W. Marsden Fireproof Building Material Company of Philadelphia. The company owned 8,000 acres of asbestos and mica lands in Franklin and Bedford Counties, Va.; a mill in Bedford City, Va., having a capacity of 100 tons of asbestos a day, and the Marsden plant in Manayunk, having a capacity of 200 tons of fireproof building a day.