Beautifully engraved certificate from the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Company
issued in 1964 or earlier. This historic document was printed by the American Banknote Company and has an ornate border around it with a vignette of an allegorical man and woman standing by the companies logo. This item has the printed signatures of the Company's President and Secretary and is over 49 years old.
The company was formed in 1960 through the merger of Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western and Erie railroads. It became part of Conrail in the 70's. Erie was chartered in 1832, and ran from NY City to Buffalo, Cleveland, and Chicago. Delaware, Lackawanna & Western was chartered in 1815 to transport coal from Pennsylvania's Lackawanna Valley.