Beautifully engraved Certificate from the famous Hornsilver Mining and Miling Company
in 1923. This historic document has an
ornate border around it with a vignette of an allegorical figure riding a uni cycle with wings.. This item is hand
signed by the company's president and is
over 73 years old.
The Hornsilver Mining and Milling Company, with offices in Wallace,
Idaho, was incorporated May 31, 1901. Its capital consisted of
1,000,000 shares of stock with a par value of 10 cents per share.
On June 11, 1946 the Articles of Incorporation were amended to
increase the capital stock and extend corporate existence to perpetuity.
The original claim included the Oregon, Jumbo, Idaho, Arizona,
California, Utah, Colorado, Bolivar, and Nevada properties. By
later locations, the Utah and Arizona were replaced by the Castle
9 and 10, and the California claim was dropped. The Montana and
Peerless #15 were located to cover the area between the Peerless
and Hornsilver groups. In 1954 the Tawny Girl was purchased from
Julius Nuss in a compromise settlement of a law suit. In 1960
the Hornsilver consisted of ten unpatented lode claims in the
Placer Center District northwest of Placer creek, 3 miles south
of Wallace. The main ore was lead-silver. From 1920 to 1926 the
tunnel was extended from 1,000 to 1,500 feet. After that time
the only work done was annual labor and repair. Money was raised
through stock assessments. In 1950 the office, which from 1929-1946
had followed manager Russell F. Collins on his moves to Coeur
d'Alene, Seattle, and Leevining, California, was moved to the
Day Building. On April 25, 1960, shareholders approved the sale
of the real property to Day Mines, Inc. The company was liquidated
on September 6, 1960.
Officers of the company included: J.F. Mitz, President, 1901-1920;
James R. Taylor, president, 1921; John F. Blitz, President, 1922-1923,
O.R. Young, Secretary, 1921-1923; Ben F. Collins, president; Russell
F. Collins, secretary-manager, 1924-1945; Walter H. Hansom, president,
1946-1958; L.J. Randall, secretary, 1946-1949; and S.F. Heitfeld,
secretary, 1950-1958. In 1954 Henry L. Day became manager, and
in 1959 he was president and manager of the company with R.W.
Anno as secretary.