Beautifully engraved certificate from the Red Elephant Mining Company issued in 1880. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of men working in a mine underground. This item is hand signed by the Company's President (Frank Rudd) and Secretary (J.H. Weston) and is over 140 years old. Incorporated in New York.
In 1865, a prospector on Red Elephant mountain discovered some loose blossom rock (oxidized outcroppings in the native rock) which was assayed at $18,000/ton! The source of this "blossom" rock was never found, but veins assaying at $2,500/ton were. A small town soon formed on Red Elephant Mountain, called Red Elephant. A company town operated by Red Elephant Mining Company. Mines included the White, Boulder Nest, Free America and Free America Extension lodes, located at Red Mountain, seven miles west of Idaho Springs. Eighty to 100 tons of high grade silver ore was shipped daily to Golden during its operations.