Glen Echo Resort Company - Maryland 1892
(You save $40.00 )
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available in Checkout
Beautifully engraved unissued certificate from the Glen Echo Resort Company printed in 1892 when the company was incoporated. This historic document has an ornate border around it with a vignette of a river running through the mountains. This item and is over 114 years old.
Glen Echo's use as a cultural and educational center by the National Chautauqua Assembly ended when a rumor of malaria began in the fall of 1891. The Washington Railway and Electric Company later purchased the land and developed it into a major amusement park. For many generations residents of Washington D.C., rode the streetcar from the city to Glen Echo for a day in the country. By 1900, Glen Echo was on its way to becoming a premier amusement park, and it served the Washington area as such until 1968. Today the park has come full circle, the land and the historic buildings a back drop for a rich arts education program. Since 1971, the National Park Service at Glen Echo Park has been offering year-round activities in dance, theater, and the arts for the surrounding communities and for visitors from across the country. The park also administers an artist-in-residency program providing the public with an opportunity to see artists at work. There are concerts, demonstrations, workshops, and festivals during the warm months as a part of the Chautauqua Summer season. In addition, the antique hand-carved and hand-painted Dentzel carousel, saved by community effort, operates four days a week from May through September, and the Gallery and Bookshop features park artists in its exhibits.